Melodic minor

LesterLester Posts: 1,693Member, Moderator
edited September 2016 in Guitar Chat
This follows on from the chat on pages 7 and 8 of The jazz corner about using the melodic minor, especially raising it one semitone in the lead up to a step up of a 4th (eg. when the chord changes from G to C or D to G).

The band I am in plays a dreadful, slow (72bpm) instrumental version of Amazing Grace. Why do I think it's awful? The pedestrian pace of the banjo makes me think of a film in the wild west where a donkey pulling a heavy load is on its last legs, desperate for water and struggling to take each step.

Okay, back to Jazz. Bluegrass is a neighbour of jazz in that both styles of music often provide gaps for each instrument to take a solo. So what I was thinking, was that I would see whether a solo using the melodic minor could add some colour and interest to one verse.

If you fancy composing a verse, it could be fun to compare notes and see what we come up with. After 3 ...

Comments

• Ape09090Ape09090 Posts: 2,744Member
    hyuck hyuck,oh well my grandma was a to-baccy chewing ,horse-riding granny-o-oh-yeahhhhhh!!

I enjoyed listening to that then,thanks lester
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,190Member
    I think it could make a nice jazz ballad at about the same tempo as the bluesgrass version. Interesting exercise anyway, I'll see what I can come up with for a solo. Another thing to look at is a bit of (hopefully tasteful) reharmonising - just going through bar by bar you could have something like:

1. Gmaj7 / G6 /
    2. Dmin7 / G7#5 /
    3. Cmaj9 / F13 /
    4. Gmaj7 / Amin11 Ab7b5
    5. Gmaj7 ///
    6. Emin7 / A13 /
    7. Amin11
    8. D7#5 ///
    9. Gmaj7 / G6 /
    10. Dmin7 / G7#5 /
    11. Cmaj7 / F13 /
    12. Gmaj7 / B7#9 /
    13. Emin7 / A13 /
    14. Amin7 / D7b9 /
    15. G6/9 ///
    16. Ebmaj7 / D7#9 /

Perhaps just slightly OTT, but I think it could work at a not too fast tempo, see what you think chaps...
    so record it for us then!!!
    Doh!
     Originally Posted By: Ape09090
    so record it for us then!!!
    Doh!
    I knew you'd be grateful... I admit I'm absolutely clueless about recording things by any means - what would be the easiest route for someone like me? - I just want to be able to record me playing the chords, then maybe record a solo over the top, and save the result as an mp3. Sorry to digress away from the topic, but it could help with similar threads in the future!
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_audacity/

that's a great,free tool for recording multi-tracks and it's easy to use too.
    You do need to pay attention to how you set it up,what acts as the input device,the output device etc but you have to do that with everything regarding recording software.

Regarding getting the signal into the PC,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GUITAR-PC-USB-...=item19d0f94e13

if you type guitar usb into ebay you'll have a few options to choose from,the one I posted there is just the first one that appears now.
    I can't vouch for that stuff though I do hear they're very good.
    I use a Focusrite Firewire interface that I'm kicking myself for buying now because I could have got a Fender Mustang 2 and had money left over and I think I'd still be able to do what I need with that set-up.
    Is Megi ready to upload his jazz version of Amazing Grace?
    Am I ready to do my bendy bluesy thing on top when he does?

Stay tuned pop pickers...
    Stay tuned pop pickers indeed, it will be happening as soon as I can get this recording malarky figured out! Will it be a hit or a miss?
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,693Member, Moderator
    edited September 2016
    It will be a hit with me, Megi. I started the topic but have since been too busy to give this song the attention I want to. I will.
    I had a little play about with it earlier,came up with a very Celtic sounding version...
     Originally Posted By: Lester
    It will be a hit with me, Megi. I started the topic but have since been too busy to give this song the attention I want to. I will.
    Thank you for the support Lester, it is an interesting exercise you set with Amazing Grace, it's surprising what you learn doing something like this.

What does the Celtic version sound like Andrew?
    Celtic,lol

Like a bunch of hairy naked guys painted blue coming over a hill to kick your --ooops naughty word--...
     Originally Posted By: Ape09090
    Celtic,lol

Like a bunch of hairy naked guys painted blue coming over a hill to kick your --ooops naughty word--...
    I'm trying to imagine Amazing Grace done like that...
    me too,I need a cuppa
    all the melody notes are right there under your fingers if you play all the chords open at the nut,a few hammer on's and pull offs and Seamus O' Flagherty's your uncle...