Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Mark LeVine's The Jazz Theory Book

Comments

• Ape09090Ape09090 Posts: 2,744Member
    I never heard of Jimmy Bruno before but this seems to work,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BggZ2i8_cxQ&feature=g-vrec
  • MegiMegi Posts: 6,697Member
     Originally Posted By: Ape09090
    I never heard of Jimmy Bruno before but this seems to work,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BggZ2i8_cxQ&feature=g-vrec

Regarded as a top jazz guitarist I think, not just an educator, and also has an online workshop teaching thing, where you have access to video lessons, and also can send Mr Bruno videos of yourself playing to get personal feedback. Seems to cost $60 a quarter, or $220 annually - pretty good I would say (and maybe better value than the Berklee online courses) - tempted?

http://jbguitarworkshop.com/
    He seems like a down to earth type so I will consider that course,thanks Graham.
    I'm suddenly quite tempted myself... \:\)
    Jazz Corner springs into life once again! This is to follow on from a chat I have been having with Ape about the tune Summertime, and suitable chords to use for it etc. etc. - having moved away from the "what are you listening to?" title it seems more appropriate to continue over here.

Anyway Ape, you were asking about chord fingerings - there are no hard and fast rules, and as you say, also more than one way of doing things. I think whatever works, but try for efficiency and minimize finger movement between chords. I quite often use my thumb on the low E string, but others don't so much. I'll try and go through some of the Summertime chords I used though:

Amin7 5x555x is 2nd finger on the bass string, plus a 3rd finger barre for the other 3 notes.

Bdim7 7x676x is finger 2 on bass string, then fingers 1,3 and 1 again going low to high. So a 1st finger barre used.

Amin7 8x798x is fingers 2,1,4,3 low to high

x5556x is a Dmin11 with 1st finger barre plus finger 2 for the high note. Same fingering for the following Em11 chord of course

x8[10]9[10]x is an Fmaj7, fingers 1,3,2,4 low to high

7x788x is a B7#5 (sometimes called B7b13), fingers 1,2,3,4 low to high

x7678x is an E7#9 as I'm sure you know, Hendrix favourite chord!, fingers 2,1,3,4 low to high

Then there is 6x678x which is a Bb13 chord (it's a flat 5 substitution for the previous E7#9 to get technical) fingers 1,2,3,4 low to high

x5455x is a D9 (you probably know that one as well) I play it with fingers 2,1,3,3 low to high

8x998x is a Cmaj7 with fingers 1,3,4,2 low to high

The next chord we've already done, then there is

7x776x which is a Bmin7b5 - I use thumb on the bass string plus fingers 2,3,1 low to high for the other 3 notes. But you could go fingers 2,3,4,1 to avoid using the thumb.

The next chord we've already done, then there is

5x55xx which is a 3 note version of Amin7, fingers 2,3,3

then 5x45xx which is a 3 note version of Amin6, fingers 2,1,3

then Bmin11 7x775x fingers 2,3,4,1

and finally Bb7b5 6x675x again using fingers 2,3,4,1 low to high.

Don't think I've missed any out! Hope that is at least slightly clearer than mud lol!
    Just thought I'd copy over my tab chord accompaniment for Summertime so it's all in one place and folks can see what I'm blathering on about!

5x555x / 7x676x / 8x798x / 7x676 / and repeat to cover the first 4 bars.

Then it is something like:

x5556x / x7778x / x8[10]9[10]x / x5556x /

7x788x /// x7678x / 6x678x /

for the next 4 bars, then

5x555x / 7x676x / 8x798x / 7x676x /

5x555 /// x5455x /// 8x998x / x8[10]9[10]x /

7x776x / 6x678 / 5x55xx / 5x45xx / 7x775x / 6x675x /

and your back to the next verse.

I use a slash to indicate an additional strum, the tab for a chord implying the initial strum, 4 strums to the bar, though of course the rhythm can be varied once you know what you're doing.
    thank you

better off over here for sure
    No probs Andrew. BTW there is a lot of excellent stuff on jazz guitar chords here http://www.jazzguitar.be/jazz_guitar_chords.html including a very good free downloadable ebook. In fact a lot of great stuff re jazz guitar in general, have a browse on there if you've not seen it already.
    Just to clarify in case needed, from previous posting

"7x776x which is a Bmin7b5 - I use thumb on the bass string plus fingers 2,3,1 low to high for the other 3 notes. But you could go fingers 2,3,4,1 to avoid using the thumb."

... a minor 7 flat 5 chord like the above is also often called a half-diminished chord. Either way it means the same thing.
    yes,I found that one last week.

I had a brilliant book on jazz chords and their evolution years and years ago I just need to remember what it was called...
    Please try! that sounds like a great book, I think I'd want a copy myself. I got "Creative Chord Substitution for Jazz Guitar" by Eddie Arkin last year and a really great book with something different to say - I think it could open a lot of doors if I can only find the time to practice it lol! http://jazzwise.com/instrument-tuition/g...azz-guitar.html
    I can vaguely remember this book from the 1980's and I've been scanning ebay and all the usual places for it.
    If I see it anywhere and it turns out to be a good one I will keep you in the loop of course.
    I can vaguely remember this book from the 1980's and I've been scanning ebay and all the usual places for it.
    If I see it anywhere and it turns out to be a good one I will keep you in the loop of course.
    Please do, hope you find it again!
    Continuing to play around with "Summertime" I have found that for the first bit i.e. first 4 bars, plus where the A minorey stuff comes in again, you can get close to the authentic Gershwin harmonies by alternating Amin6 with Bmin6. It gives that kind of heady, mystereous, effect to my ears at least:

Amin6: 5x455x
    Bmin6: 7x677x

So you have Amin6 / Bmin6 / Amin6 / Bmin6 / ...etc.

Obviously there have been many other versions of the harmony over the years, but I do like this!
    I like that one too,particularly the ease of playing it compared to other versions of the intro.
    It's even easier if you just play the Am and Bm version by barring the top 5 strings on the 5th and 7th frets.
    I saw a youtube of a guy doing particularly well with that version but I can't find it again now.
    Found it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZVuYTNK9QY

Unfortunately my OCD tendencies have come into play with this one and I probably won't be satisfied until I've gone back to the original score which just happens to be what I'm looking for now.
    \:\)

Isn't it stunning though that a jazz tune of this sound,weight and heritage has no sharps or flats in it's key signature.

If anyone is aware of a free site where I can download this score I'd love to know about it,
    \:\)

http://en.scorser.com/S/Sheet+music/Gershwin+George+Summertime/-1/1.html
    Going back to original - don't have the the score, but we can at least listen to it, this seems as good as anything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZsVMQSCXyk&feature=related

How lovely is that? I do think my minor 6 chords are pretty much right for the first few bars - I can hear that minor 6th sound specifically. Barring the top 5 strings doesn't give a minor 6, though it certainly works, kind of sounds more modern to me, like a minor 11th or something, though that would put the 11th on the lowest (A) string - perhaps better to call it a D9sus4 moving to an E9sus4, which is interesting in it's own right. Nothing wrong with getting OCD though, you can learn a lot with that kind of attitude! I've certainly got a new appreciation of Summertime now lol.

The guy in the clip seems to be barring the top 5 strings sometimes btw, but I don't really think he's sounding the note on the A string, more just the top 4 strings, which gives a straight A minor 7 chord.

The key signiture is just a result of the piece being in A minor tbh! Gershwin could just as easily have done it in Bb minor, which would be a fret higher for us guitarists, and then it would have 5 flats in the key signiture, but wouldn't sound very different, just a bit higher. But I agree that great tunes, jazz or otherwise, don't have to be full of complex clever-s&*t harmonies and "out there" concepts, though that point does seem to be forgotten sometimes IMO! Gershwin was a genius though.

I heard a story re Gershwin, which I believe is true: The great Russian composer Stravinsky went to America, and Gershwin made a point of seeking him out to ask for lessons on composition/harmony etc. ...Stravinsky asks what Gershwin does in music, Gershwin tells him he writes and arranges popular songs and musicals, that sort of thing. Stravinsky asks how much he earns doing that - Gershwin says something like $250,000 dollars a year. Stravinsky says he should be the one taking the lessons, not the other way round...
    Just found this version Sarah Vaughan rather nice I think.
    I might lay out for the Martin Taylor lesson yet,think I'll have another look at the site...
    I might lay out for the Martin Taylor lesson yet,think I'll have another look at the site...
    No one could blame you for that, Martin Taylor is an incredible guitarist. I think I would be more drawn to the Jimmy Bruno site personally, but that's just me. I found another guy doing an online academy type thing out of interest, perhaps a bit more of a modern/contemporary/fusion type style but he seems pretty good http://www.mortenslessons.com/ - not sure how much it costs though...
    Of course,I forgot about the Jimmy Bruno site.
    I susbscribed to Mortens youtube channel a while back and he's very good but not my cup of tea entirely.

I've always loved this tune,Summertime,so I don't mind investing in it a bit plus I think it's an absolutely fantastic platform for teaching improv from....
    Am or C major so no sharps or flats,a helluva lyrical melody what can go wrong?
    That's pretty cool, he has some considerable chops there! Reminds a bit of Joe Pass in places.
    astonishing musicianship
    http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=10508

and it's played on guitar too,basic version but what a tune to learn about comping on....
    I think that version is actually pretty good - seems very close to the harmonies on the original orchestral version, which is no bad thing. I guess a version for 2 guitars - shame I can't pop round and we could do it as a duo lol!

Nice link though, cheers!
    youtube Graham.....

if you've got yourself set up yet?
    youtube Graham.....

if you've got yourself set up yet?
    Give me a little while - day or 2, and I promise we'll do it, it sounds like a great idea, and could be a lot of fun. I am hoping to get some clips of my guitar project builds and whatnot up also, to show off the different sounds/pickups etc. Things got a bit put off when the laptop started playing up - I wasn't sure it would be worth investing in new gear/software or whatever if I didn't have a working computer to use it with. But that seems to be sorted now.

Just on another topic...

I can understand that,one thing about my playing as I get back into it now is that I don't care about sounding different from other folks as I used to when I was a kid . I'm happy to be in tune and to have some emotional content now and that's it.
    When you're young though you want to have something definitive about your playing don't you.
    I'm quoting you from a different thread but I absolutely agree with this, I was like that too, i.e. would do things (or try to) just to be different. But with time I think you come to realise that having your own voice is more about saying something meaningful/expressive, rather than always being radically different. This is an interesting clip, see what he says from about 1.30 especially - I think it's very true. Jimmy Raney on improvising

We mellow with age,become less competitive....
    we got the girl or we didn't.
    Either way,kick back,chill out and play some music baby!

Are you using the windows movie maker now G?
    That's the only tool I use to upload to youtube when I get inspired to do that.
  • petruccipetrucci Posts: 11Member
    What about Django Reinhardt, that guy really can play! \:\)