My collection

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 6,873Member
     Originally Posted By: Megi

I keep looking at Sticky's lovely 335, envy is a terrible thing...

Sorry Sticky, I should have said 336 I notice, not that I understand the difference... But I am jealous anyway! And like it or not, there still is just a certain something about the name Gibson on the headstock...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Posts: 355Member
    lol! It is a 336- they're slightly smaller and carved solid wood rather than steamed/bent ply (comparison pic below!). Makes it sound about halfway between a 335 and an LP.

Unfortunately, as lovely as it looks, mine really needs some work- new nut and (gah!) some attention on the switch. I've been putting off the nut work for about a year already but now I'm gigging again I really need to bite the bullet and get on with it! And the switch keeps cutting out, which isn't a big job on a regular guitar, but this, like a 335 has to have the whole loom come out through a f-hole to get to the wiring.

The \:\( emoticon really doesn't come close!!

• LesterLester Posts: 1,536Member, Moderator
    Gibson's 336 and 339 are the same smaller size than the 335 but the difference is that the 339, like the 335, is, as stickyfiddle says, made from steamed and bent plywood - that sounds cheap but my 339 was anything but cheap! The 336 is carved from a single piece of wood - more difficult, more waste and about 50% dearer to buy. It has been said that the 336 and the 339 are midway between a 335 and a Les Paul, with the 336 a bit nearer the Les Paul and the 339 a bit nearer the 335, which makes sense as the 335 and 339 are built the same way and the 336 and Les Paul are both carved pieces of solid timber.

I don't think I could have said that in a more confusing way!

Read Gibson's explanation here.

Originally Posted By: stickyfiddle
    ... mine really needs ... new nut ...

You maybe a DIYer. When I bought my 339 it was in a bad way (confirming Gibson's poor reputation), the least worst of 4 in the shop. I took it to Richard who got his tech to change the nut, cutting slots to suit me and now it plays just fine.
    I've never made a nut before, though I've fitted pre-shaped ones. This one was fitted by Oxford Guitar Gallery and they did a good job, but I have enough guitars that I'd really like to learn to do it myself so I don't have to run to the tech every time it needs doing. It's more cost now but a lot less in the long run.

Assuming I get paid today as I should I'll be having a look at Stewmac..
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,536Member, Moderator
    I'll be having a look at Stewmac..

You got the new StewMac newsletter too, eh?
    I didn't, actually. I was looking at their Essential Nut Making Tool Kit, as I have many times over the last couple of years. But those pre-made nuts will be fantastic, as with all stewmac stuff.
  • Ape09090Ape09090 Posts: 2,744Member
    Wow,
    do those two sound and feel as nice as they look?
     Originally Posted By: Lester
    Gibson's 336 and 339 are the same smaller size than the 335 but the difference is that the 339, like the 335, is, as stickyfiddle says, made from steamed and bent plywood - that sounds cheap but my 339 was anything but cheap! The 336 is carved from a single piece of wood - more difficult, more waste and about 50% dearer to buy. It has been said that the 336 and the 339 are midway between a 335 and a Les Paul, with the 336 a bit nearer the Les Paul and the 339 a bit nearer the 335, which makes sense as the 335 and 339 are built the same way and the 336 and Les Paul are both carved pieces of solid timber.

I don't think I could have said that in a more confusing way!

On the contrary, that has got me clued up re the 336, 339 and 335 very nicely Lester, cheers! It really is a shame that Gibson's QC does seem to have been patchy in recent years - I still think they make excellent guitars (and for me, when a guitarist takes a Gibson out of it's case, it still means something) but really, given their status and the not inconsiderable cost, they just should not be having these lapses. It's good though, that Richard's tech could get yours playing the way Gibson should have in the first place!
     Originally Posted By: Ape09090
    Wow,

The red ones? Not mine unfortunately! But mine (nut and switch problems notwithstanding) is gorgeous.
  • TinyghostTinyghost Posts: 834Member
     Originally Posted By: Ape09090
    Wow,

The red ones? Not mine unfortunately! But mine (nut and switch problems notwithstanding) is gorgeous.

So that's not your cat eating a pencil?
    Cat's get into all your guitar pics, it's true sticky.

I was planning on building a semi hollow body for my brother-in-law. We figured you could hollow out some large cavities (lots of waste tho) from a solid shape (leaving a central core for mounting hardware) and then using minimal bracing, create a curved top with a great looking veneer.
    Could this work? Sounds a bit too simple, but an exciting possibility.
    I've wanted a 335 since Larry Carlton's debut album,at least I think that's what he plays.
  • barnsleybeastbarnsleybeast Posts: 27Member
    Hopefully this will work, no idea if it will!! ... here are my girls..

2007 Gibson Explorer Pro

[image]http://www.flickr.com/photos/78253638@N04/6860194260/in/photostream[/image]

2005 PRS Custom 22 20th Anniversary 10 top

[image]http://www.flickr.com/photos/78253638@N04/6860194154/in/photostream[/image]

'91 Jap Fender '57 Strat Reissue.. upgraded with Seymour Duncan SSL1s in neck and middle & SSL5 in bridge. Custom wiring and toggle switch a la Gilmour signature strat. Same guitar £2.5k cheaper!!

[image]http://www.flickr.com/photos/78253638@N04/7006311821/in/photostream/[/image]

Washburn N4 Sunburst, actually a lot darker than this pic taken with my crappy iphone camera

[image]http://www.flickr.com/photos/78253638@N04/7006311717/in/photostream/[/image]
    ... and the links didn't work.. any tips for a novice about linking to Flickr?! Cheers all.
  • ShambekoShambeko Posts: 108Member

Just looked at your links think you doing it wrong. When you open your photo in Flickr, click on the share button above the photo. Open the Grab HTML/BBcode button, then copy the full link that opens. Paste this into the image box that opens when you press the Enter an Image button on posting form (Delete the http:// bit.
    Check with the preview button before posting.
    Hope this helps.
    Shambeko's almost right.

The easiest way is to hit Share, then select the BBCode button, then copy/paste that whole bit of code straight into the reply window- no need for extra tags.

Quote this post to see what the code should look like

Headstocks in formation by stickyfiddle, on Flickr
     Originally Posted By: Tinyghost
    Ha ha.
    Wow, I'm missing out.
    Megi, the Shine looks interesting (not heard of those).
    Sticky, let me know how the toneriders work out for your SG...as you know I'm on the market for some pups to do a phase mod or split.

I've aquired a 12string E-ros acoustic. Bit obsessed with the J Mascis squier sig Jazzmaster...but only if I sell the burns marquee (that is still on the wall in the local guitar shop).
    We still need more than 7!?

Just put the Toneriders in. I went for Alnico II classic set. They're really seriously good for the price. I'm not going to pretend they're quite as good as Bareknuckles, but for barely a third of the price they're 95% of the way there. Quite low output, but brilliant. They have that almost single coil type fluteyness to them. Brilliant, and SO much better than the unsubtle originals
    Here we go.. think I've cracked it!

Explorer Pro by barnsleybeast, on Flickr

Gilmour replica by barnsleybeast, on Flickr

PRS Custom 22 by barnsleybeast, on Flickr

Washburn N4 by barnsleybeast, on Flickr
    Just put the Toneriders in. I went for Alnico II classic set. They're really seriously good for the price. I'm not going to pretend they're quite as good as Bareknuckles, but for barely a third of the price they're 95% of the way there. Quite low output, but brilliant. They have that almost single coil type fluteyness to them. Brilliant, and SO much better than the unsubtle originals [/quote]

Great. I love tonerider pups, really good value.
    Are these open humbuckers? Do tonerider have sound clips for these?
    So the gibson pups were too harsh? I quite like mine, but I do wish they were able to sound a bit more smooth and chimey (like the p90s i have).
    How do the alnico 11 sound different from alnico Vs?
    I'm very tempted.
    Mine are nickel covered, but they're available as open coils with black or zebra bobbins iirc.

The stock SG pickups (498T and 490R) are designed for heavy rock and into metal more than as a classic 60's sound (that's what the 57 classics are for). The Toneriders, by contrast, are the best clean-toned humbucker I've tried in a long time.

I love the 57s in my 336, but these might actually be better. They're wound with an intentional imbalance between the coils, so you get more of the harmonic content that is normally cancelled when the windings are equal. I haven't tried the IV or V equivalents, but tone wise these are the "textbook" PAF sound. Far more subtlety and character than most humbuckers, and supposedly a little more mellow than alnico 4 or 5. They're nice and trebly in the SG- not so overpowering in the mids as the old pickups were.

I'm very impressed to say the least. I'm still likely to go for some handwounds eventually, but they're fantastic at the price. I don't understand why anyone would buy Seymour Duncans or Dimarzios in the current market
    Mmmmm I think I'm almost sold.
    I got the SG thinking of the classic 60s sound, but have learnt to love the actual sound I can get from the guitar. But I always thought that to get a vintage sound (a la Townshend), I would need to have P90s or actual vintage Gibson pups.
    I really would like to hear your buckers, if you ever get the chance to record a little clip.
    Cheers for the feedback (oo bad pun).
    http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar%20parts%20spares%20pickups_088.htm
    Also been tempted by these sticky. P90s in a HB format.
    Seem to sound pretty good. Their PAFs are pretty good, but I guess it's the same price range etc as the toneriders (and I totlly love TRs).
  • BryBry Posts: 652Member

Not all, but most of them.
    A fair few Bry!
    Is that a burns marquee neck on the strat hanging up?
    There's 13 by my count in that picture Bry - so exactly how many more are there? Also, can I say that the dark kind of ocean blue strat, with the Burns-esque neck is looking really nice with that gold pearlescent scratchplate and the gold pickup covers - I think you may have found the right parts for that one now!
    There are seventeen, twenty-two if you include ongoing projects.

Originally Posted By: Tinyghost
    A fair few Bry!
    Is that a burns marquee neck on the strat hanging up?

It's a Burns-style neck, I dont think it's a Burns
  • JockoJocko Posts: 6,871Member, Moderator
    Nice collection Bry.
    It is a great collection I agree - I especially like the sky blue strat (and matching amp) with the tortoiseshell scratchplate and cream knobs and pickups - that gave me the idea to use cream with tortoiseshell for my own strat project, so cheers for that Bry!
    The man's an inspiration to us all!
    Then there's the ukuleles