My names Kevin and I don't have a problem

12346»

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,182Member
    I will be very interested in the "more to follow". One encouraging thing I can say is that I have been extremely impressed with the compressor models on the Helix (and also the Boss MS3 I had before), and in fact prefer them to anything I ever tried in a separate pedal.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 934Member
    edited July 22
    Well I missed the Jam session Tuesday due to man flu, but I did the first gig Saturday at a pride event. It was outdoors on a quick change festival stage, so the very portable quick set and go of the HX was a bonus. It was just a 45 minite set so I forwent Wah and other ancilliary pedals.
    I shall need to adjust the various gain/output settings, at stage volume the 'extra' bit of volume really jumps out. I had configured the boost to do that rather than feel hopeless when I'd got to 10 on the guitar and had no more options. I had configured a 'synth like' sound for one song, again the level of aggregated drives/comp etc. made me reach down to catch the guitars volume. These things can be sorted.
    Overall the festival stage was typical in that it was very loud but the monitors were distorted and kept feeding back. Once we'd got them turned down to within thier capabilities it sounded much better.
    So overall I'm going to stick with this HX unit, next gig looks like a month away, so I've got some playtime to get things slick.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 953Member
    /non-guitar related content/
    I had no idea that forwent is the past tense of forgo. You learn something new every day!

Back to normal... how often do you need a quick setup setup? Is it the kind of thing people ought to have available?
    Nicholas paul we don't generally play festival type stages with my current bands as they are all covers. If one of the new country rock bands ever takes off that may change, but presently that looks dormant.
    So mostly We have a stage to ourselves and reasonable setup time, but it's as well to be flexible. For instance the funk band played a wedding this last sturday and we shared the stage with a DJ. She did the first two songs for the bridal dances and then we did 2x1 Hour sets finishing at 9.15pm. She then took over for the rest of the evening. So a quick pack and leave was very useful especially in that rain! I was home just after 10:30 and it's a 50 min drive! It also helps having fewer and smaller cases strewn about backstage or stuffed in crevices behind gear and out of sight.
    I also get hassel because my analogue pedal board was almost a metre wide and about 650 deep. This 'looks' like a lot of real estate, but in practice I would just have that much empty space in front of me with a mic stand and to prevent clocking someone with the guitar neck. Also I take 3 guitars on a single guitar stand, so that too takes up a little space when the stage is tight.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 953Member
    If you don’t take the real estate, the singer will! Actually, I have a board that’s over a meter long and I worry if it’s too big. Oh well, I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.
    That wedding sounds like fun. And it sounds like you were well prepared. In, out, get paid, gone!
    Nice!
    Well last night I played a gig (yes a Tuesday).
    Long story even longer: country band got a referral from another gig months back and got booked for a country music club night at Stanway rovers fc function room. 10 days ago the singist announces that he's in Bulgaria (he has business interests there), and won't be coming back in time! So bass player gets an old mate singer/guitarist to stand in, someone I've known for 50 years as he comes from the same village I grew up in. I even went to school with his baby sister, but we've never played together in all that time. We got to rehearse once for two hours in the singers house last Friday between 5-7pm and off we go.
    To be honest I got quite anxious about this one because I'd not heard several of the songs he wanted to do and had never played a bunch more. I had to work on 'Crazy little thing called love' and travelling wilburys 'End of the line' four mavericks songs with brass and two new songs for me to sing amounst others and knew all the guitaring would be down to me!
    Anyway we got there (straight from work, car loaded all day etc.) and set up easily. Hot venue with the aircon not working!!! It went well enough and by the end of the third set I was loving the Tele into the Hot Rod Deluxe with just a hint of it's own overdrive. Also used the 335 and the HX fx and the acoustic straight into the PA via the Mese Rosetta. very pleased with the tones, less so with some of the playing, but recoverred well enough.
    New Toy pedal alert, (well first live use, I've had it ages).
    I also did something I've never done before and used a MEL 9 (electro harmonix pedal) live. If you've never seen one check out the excellent video demos. In practice I don't think the sounds stand scrutiny, but properly mixed they can add a dimension to the band sound.
    We played a couple of Mavericks songs and I used the MEL 9 to blend with overdriven guitar for the brass parts (well as many as I could manage). I probably could have got away with just soft O/D guitar, but it was a nice contrast. I also used it with a blend of vocal choral effect swells on another slower song to nice effect. I think it could get tiring on the ears pretty quick, but I was pleased to have taken it along and will probably use it again.
    Anyway I'm back at my desk this morning having survived, but I could do with a kipp. I'm not young and bouncy the morning after these days.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,182Member
    I do know what you mean re being tired the next day after a gig ES! Good to hear the gigs are still coming in though - sometimes it seems the ones pulled together at short notice turn out the best. Pleased to hear you're finding the HX FX useful too. I've kind of become addicted to going direct into the PA with my Helix LT. I have not come across the MEL 9 before so will look that one up.
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,665Member, Moderator
    Nice write up, ES, and I would go along with a Tele straight into a Fender amp.