My names Kevin and I don't have a problem

1235»

Comments

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,088Member
    Yup. I love an old, gig-worn instrument. Like my own.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 893Member
    @Nicolaspaul they are the original pickups except that the bridge HB had to have a coil rewound about 3 years ago. It's stock otherwise and I even have the case candy and hang tags, not sure what it's worth as they hang about when offered for sale but I've recently seen one for thousands on an auction site. Anyway this guitar is not for sale and is being left to one of my sons because of it's legacy.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 891Member
    I dont blame you for not wanting to sell. What a great plan :) and one lucky boy!
    Nothing much new here. Several gigs with the funk band and I'm still rehearsing with a changed lineup on the new country rock outfit. Not gig ready yet because the singer gigs with his dad a lot and so regular rehearsals don't happen.
    Gear wise the only addition a couple of months back was a EH MEL9 pedal. I remember the demo videos when they first came out and quite liked the idea, although I had no use for one. Well keys player in the country rock band fell by the wayside so I figured going to a 4 piece with acoustic and electric guitar was all the excuse I needed.
    It's a bit of a gimmick (surprised!) but I have found a couple of uses for it and I've had fun messing about at home from time to time.
    Wouldn't surprise me if it ended up sold again in a year or two after I've had my fun.

Otherwise no deps at present so easy life.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,115Member
    Still always nice to hear what's been going on ES, and glad you've still got a few things on the burner. I don't think I've been gigging as long as you, but I have found that there are some bands that don't really rehearse enough (or ever in the case of one!), and others that seem to call rehearsals at the drop of a hat, when they won't really make much difference - neither situation is ideal! :D I'll have a look at the EH MEL9 on Youtube - they do make some fun stuff I must say. :)
    Strewth A long time since an update. So whats been happening?
    New Country rock outfit has undergone several line up changes but is now looking quite good. Girl singer (Pro jazz singer), Old and experienced keyboard player with lead and harmony vocals, singing bass player, loud young drummer and me.
    As the only guitarist in the band I've been using a lot of acoustic for certain songs. I still have the Epiphone PR350s and find that it sounds best plugged in when the PU is loaded correctly with a decent DI box. So I went the extra mile and bought a Mesa Rosette DI and preamp pedal. Now as a man well used to mixers I can say the more knobs the better, and this thing is well endowed. It makes this cheap but pleasent acoustic sounf full and rich while being loud and not feeding back, recommended to anyone in a similar position.
    So The PR350s and my Telecaster are all I use and I'm really pleased with the noise we are making, next we need some gigs.
    Funk band are now learning Young Hearts run free (more soul than funk I guess) but it's just a revision for me as I've done it before. Always there, Night to Remember and Never too much. So thats thursday evening taken care off. We meet at the drummers house and eat chinese while working up the numbers, then take them to a full rehearsal another day.
    And I've had a phone call from an old mate who is running a couple of not very busy bands, in one the young singer/second guitarist has gone off to sea/cruising and in the other the male lead singer (75 and hell of a voice) has lost interest in the band thing so he asked if I would be interested in being those two people. The band lineup is almost identical in the two bands except the keys players are different, and I know/have worked with them all but one of the keys players before (two are from the old soul band days). He read me the set list the do, I think I said 'yes I know that' to 9 out of 10 from the 40 odd titles he said. So there are a couple of gigs for each of these bands over the next 6 months I get to do if I want and a forthcomming jam session we are all attending goes right with me in the male singer role (they already have a fantastic female singer and I don't have the legs for that anymore).

Just a final word (I've obviously been saving them up, this is getting a bit long), Cu Da Groove did a birthday party in a museum a couple of weekend ago, a few days after that I passed the 60 goal myself but don't feel I should mention it. The party was for a bloke of 90, yes 90. He was there about 6.40pm to greet all his guests and danced with his daugthers and grandaughters right up to midnight. He also came up and sang a verse of 'My way' just before he gave his speach. I shall keep going a little while longer if he is my example.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,115Member
    Loud young drummer... :D I know a loud old drummer, but "loud" seems to be a bit of a theme with drummers. The ones that have a bit of dynamic range and occasional subtlety are to be valued. Still, that sounds like a terrific band, nice one ES.

Some sort of plug in-able acoustic, plus similar nylon-string perhaps, is a thing I think about for myself from time to time - given how little I would require it though, probably not worth spending a fortune on. What is the pickup on your Epiphone?

The funk(/soul) band sounds like a nice setup too, and glad you're still being kept busy with other things also - in demand, and well deserved I'm sure. Keep going while we can is good advice! :)
    Megi, the Epiphone is a simple under the saddle piezo pickup. Passive but there is a volume and tone knob on the upper bout.
    iirc Jocko had one of these too. they were only made for a couple of years at the end of the 80s or early 90s.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 7,006Member, Moderator
    Yes, it was a wonderful guitar. Just too big for my fat belly! My nephew has it now.
    Coming to the end of the busy gigging period. I've done two gigs with the old mates band quite successfully, nothing on the horizon there in the forseeable. The other old singer he had in another band has contacted me about another project he's getting involved in (too much energy for a man of 75). Anyway they are putting together a 60s british pop revival band and needed a second guitarist/third voice. I met them in a remote cottage on Sunday and we bashed through about 30 probable songs in a couple of hours with acoustic guitars and voices. It looks like another project is launched. This is a whole different discipline for me, I was too young to get involved the first time through but the vocal harmonies on things like the Hollies are wonderful.
    Also last week I was asked to play guitar again for panto in February, the fact that two of the songs are Bohemian Rhapsody and Everything she does is magic and they are likely to be full versions! Added to that we are going to get to perform an instrumental as the show come out of the break, this is to be decided but once before we did War of the worlds so expectations are high.
    I've just two more gigs in 2018, a country band (old lineup) surprise party for the singer on the 15th and a funk band gig at a hotel on the 21st.
    I must be mad but I still scan join my band adds from time to time, to be honest old contacts seem to be more fruitful for getting future gigs so not burning bridges pays dividends.