Megi's Jazz Odyssey - the return

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 6,827Member
    Originally Posted By: Mark P
    The tones on that Mitch Watkins video are rather good!

A good set of traditioanl style P90s ought to give you that sort of sound I'd have thought.

Have you clocked the price of Collings 290s! eek

I think Lester is right too in that a semi-acoustic would bring something additional to the tone-party.
    Glad you like the video tones Mark - thought you might somehow. I think you are almost certainly right that any reasonable traditional P90 type pickup will do something I like, but no harm in trying to get as close to my ideal as I can (if I can only figure out what that actually is lol). I knew that the price on that Collings would be off the chart! - didn't even bother trying to find out. I think they seem overpriced tbh, though I suppose if you're rich you don't worry about that so much. But I'm not, so... not for me! grin
    Meant to add - hope you're right that Lester is right about a semi-acoustic bringing more to the tone party! The Shine is really a chambered guitar with an f-hole on one side, rather than a semi-acoustic, but to my ears, it is in that kind of general area tonally. Given the price, I find an amazingly good sounding guitar - scores very well in terms of resonance, but also really excellent string balance, with a warm, breathy kind of vibe. Could it do a better job than that Collings? - the thought seems audacious... whistle
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,530Member, Moderator
    Originally Posted By: Megi
    The amp I most often use is a Polytone Minibrute combo ...

What I was thinking of was whether your amp has a presence control and I see it doesn't. You may know this but just in case you don't: On solid state amps a presence control is a higher frequency treble.

AIUI it is useful in jazz because the treble can be reduced to give that warm jazz sound while using the presence to add some sparkle at the top end. It helps the warm jazz sound not sound like a muffled sound. I don't know what frequency a presence control centres around.

I was just thinking around the topic. I cannot offer experienced advice, just some ideas to try out. Do you have an EQ pedal with 6 or more bands? The more the merrier. Try adding some top end without opening up the treble any more than you want.
    Originally Posted By: Lester
    What I was thinking of was whether your amp has a presence control and I see it doesn't. You may know this but just in case you don't: On solid state amps a presence control is a higher frequency treble.

AIUI it is useful in jazz because the treble can be reduced to give that warm jazz sound while using the presence to add some sparkle at the top end. It helps the warm jazz sound not sound like a muffled sound. I don't know what frequency a presence control centres around.

I was just thinking around the topic. I cannot offer experienced advice, just some ideas to try out. Do you have an EQ pedal with 6 or more bands? The more the merrier. Try adding some top end without opening up the treble any more than you want.
    As you say, no presence control on the Polytone - though it is a lovely amp. But happily the Yamaha G50 does! and thank you for the thought Lester - I think it is an excellent idea to try out, especially with my planned new Shine/P90 pickup combination. Afraid I don't have an EQ pedal, but that might be a useful aquisition for me. I have been advising Mark P recently to experiment with his own gear setup, but clearly it has not occurred to me to take my own advice! You have started me thinking in a useful direction I suspect, cheers again, much appreciated.
    £19.95 with free p&p is as cheap as a 7 band EQ comes. Here.
    Originally Posted By: Lester
    £19.95 with free p&p is as cheap as a 7 band EQ comes. Here.
    I'll think about that Lester - certainly price not really a barrier!

My guitar has gone from the store in Manchester, up a short distance to Wednesbury, then way down the M6 to Middleton (Birmingham/Wolverhampton way) and now has gone North East up to Lincoln, arriving at a service centre just after 5 this morning. Has been transferred to another courier - will see when it makes it to Grimsby. Why do I enjoy tracking parcels so much? confused crazy
  • HobbioHobbio Posts: 21Member
    I also really enjoy tracking parcels, I'm glad it's not just me!
    Left Lincoln Service Centre at 8.07 and is out for delivery! smile All a bit train spotter-ish ha ha, I'll get me anorak. Since placing the order, I have gone through the odd short period of questioning my judgement in doing this - it's certainly not something I need - defo in the "want" category though. A bit of affordable luxury if you like.
  • HobbioHobbio Posts: 21Member
    I just hope you can get the right pickups for it mate. If you're struggling for P90's, have you considered low output buckers instead? I saw a Bulldog one, Cool PAF I think it was called. 7.2k but it cost £90!

Hopefully it'll arrive soon, and as for want vs need? At £95 it's a must-buy, really.
    Originally Posted By: Hobbio
    I just hope you can get the right pickups for it mate. If you're struggling for P90's, have you considered low output buckers instead? I saw a Bulldog one, Cool PAF I think it was called. 7.2k but it cost £90!

Hopefully it'll arrive soon, and as for want vs need? At £95 it's a must-buy, really.
    I have thought briefly about some sort of different bucker pickup, but already have pretty low output in the trans red Shine i.e. the Axesrus Bourbon Cities (that isn't rhyming slang btw laugh ) listed as having neck 7.3K and bridge 8.5K. I reckon the P90 idea will work out, although one is never quite sure what the end result will be exactly - I really am leaning towards getting something hand wound to spec, and going for clarity, with plenty of upper end presense. If I do that, I will have to "make do" with using one of my spare humbuckers in the bridge position - and then could maybe swap this for a matching (in looks) P90 when funds allow. But better to do that, than compromise on sound just to be able to afford a set all at once.

But... the newby is here! It looks drop-dead gorgeous, and the same great build quality, and nice quality rosewood fingerboard as on my first Shine. The neck is nice and straight, and as before, it is pretty well setup out of the box, though the strings way too light gauge for my taste - think they might well be 9's, though possibly 10's. Some interesting and lovely looking grain pattern on the quilt maple top veneer. Sounds lively and resonant as before - it's all good really. Sat here looking at the two sisters side by side, and my word they do look pretty together I must say. It is a damn good job there are only 2 colours available... grin
    Defo fitted with 9's, can bend the G string up a 5th if I want lol. Not used to the feel at all - will put a set of 11s on when I get a chance. I would say the appearence is very classy, a bit less immediately striking than the trans red, but tasteful. The finish on the back looks to be a solid black, rather than the very dark translucent finish on the red one. Only really possible to detect the difference under bright light though.
    I'm liking the trans black finish on the new lovely very much now - get the light reflecting off the quilt maple grain in the right way, and it looks rather stunning. Actually, it has a kind of gothic, etherial beauty I think, getting a bit flowery about it... blush
  • zoglugzoglug Posts: 314Member
    Because of all the Shine GAS, last night, i sat considering selling my Cort and purchasing a second Shine. Having one with buckers and one with P90's should suit all my needs and leave me not needing another guitar! Bad Megi and Hobbio!!!

Ps......still need pics!
    Don't do it zog! It's just rampant GAS - once it takes hold, it's way too easy to lose any ability to think rationally... wink And it was a somewhat insane thing for me to do I must admit, very hard to justify in practical terms... The Cort Z42 looks to be a nice guitar in it's own right too, having had a scout around on the web, and Google Images. Instead you could just fit it with some sort of humbucker sized P90 maybe? But the dual Shine pictures are coming before long, just so you can all witness my decadance and depravity lol.
    Ha ha! I wont be doing it, it was just a thought i had purely influenced by the other shines around again. The Cort is very nice indeed, and more than likely will get some P90's in there once my annual bonus comes through.

Looking forward to pics!
    Depraved...

Decadent...

Deranged...

But happy... smile

Congratulations! I hope the new one gives you as much pleasure as the red one has.
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,231Member
    Awwww .... ain't they just so sweet together! cool
  • Pete_BPete_B Posts: 28Member
    The black one is looking really nice. Its hard to get a photo to show the quilt finish top on it really well
    This is an attempt to show it but a lot of the lighter stuff gets washed out in the photo!
  • AlidoreAlidore Posts: 528Member
    The black one is looking really nice. Its hard to get a photo to show the quilt finish top on it really well
    This is an attempt to show it but a lot of the lighter stuff gets washed out in the photo!
    Pete.

“There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.”
  • Just TelJust Tel Posts: 500Member
    Megi they do look good side by side. Maybe I should buy a black one as well. I don't think so I can hear my wife say.
  • lancpudnlancpudn Posts: 1,393Member
    Congrats on the new Shine Megi, Great pic's of them together, Agreed they look really well made guitars.
    Cheers chaps! At the moment, the newby is just sitting around looking pretty, but not really contributing anything, as the red one has been modded to suit my needs re electrics, pickups, heavy gauge strings etc. But it is still informative to compare them - one thing is just the huge difference between the 12s on the red and 9s on the black one - about 25 years ago I used to use 9-46 gauge strings, but there is just no way I could go back now - they are vastly easier to bend and put vibrato on, but the tone and feel is also vastly different. And the 9s are much harder to keep in tune. Still, it's each to his or her own in the end.

Originally Posted By: Just Tel
    Megi they do look good side by side. Maybe I should buy a black one as well. I don't think so I can hear my wife say.
    Hmm, yes, good luck with that one Tel... eek

Alidore - I agree the trans black is harder to photograph well, the grain doesn't pop out quite so much, and the burst effect does not come across so strongly - for me it's more like a dark trans black finish which has just been emphasized around the edges. I do think it's very classy though, and rather lovely, and definitely the one to go for for those of a gothic persuasion! (I think I might be a bit of a closet goth sometimes lol - don't tell the jazz guys! grin).
    It's a pest when the photos don't do a nice looking guitar justice. frown I'm sure there's tricks can be used to help - there are in photographing food anyway - amazing what gets done to it so it looks good, though I guess it's probably photo-shopped now.

What's the scale length on these Shines of yours BTW?
    I only have a little Fuji-film digi-camera, nothing very fancy... And yes, I never get the guitar to look as good in the photos as it does in the flesh, the colours are never quite right for one thing, although I find natural light helps a lot - hence the garden location for a lot of my shots.

The scale-length is 24.75 inches, like most Gibsons. That's a good point in fact - when I got my first one, I did try to find out, without success, but went ahead and ordered anyway. It was all a bit of a risk really, but one of the rare ones that pays off.
    The scale-length is 24.75 inches, like most Gibsons.

Thats interesting to know. My Cort has a 24.75 inch scale length, but the Shine feels much smaller.
    The scale-length is 24.75 inches, like most Gibsons. That's a good point in fact - when I got my first one, I did try to find out, without success, but went ahead and ordered anyway. It was all a bit of a risk really, but one of the rare ones that pays off.

I'd have to agree - 9s and a 24.75" scale won't be great for tone and will be amazingly loose and floppy. PRS have factory 9s in their SE range with a 25" scale and that's awful enough despite being a bit longer scale than Gibson - put 10s on those and it's like someones switched on a light. Don't know why PRS do that - they have 10s on their non-SE models with the same scale length - certainly put me off buying one when I first tried one.