3/4 spanish guitar as a starter?

FretFret Posts: 75Member
edited March 2017 in Guitar Chat
My son's coming up for 13. He'd like to start playing guitar. My inclination is to get him a 3/4 spanish guitar as a starter. This would be a reasonable size for him and the nylon strings would be easier on his fingers than steel.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a good idea to me.

However, if he is into limp bizkit (like every 13 year old I see) then he might be a bit dissapointed ?
  • Options
    A strat of some form is the best bet IMHO. You get used to string gague real easy & it almost isnt an issue with 9s, anyway.

The 3/4 size thing is a fair point though. How big is your average 13 yr old these days?
  • nadnad Posts: 1,983Member
    im 13 and full size does me fine \:\)

im comin onto 14 soon tho ;\)
  • Options
    I started out on my brother's strat when I was 13 and look at how good I've become! Or, actually, dont cos I'm terrible *sigh* seriously though I agree, strat's are good for beginners
  • Hi there,

I can assure you that a 3/4 size classical is definately the wrong choice for a 13 year old.

First of all, if he is going to play classicial he will need a full size instrument.

The choice instrument for most 13 year olds will either be acoustic (steel striings) or electric. All guitars we sell are set up to the highest of standards and I can assure you that although any player has to get used to a little soreness when first playing (an unavoidable part of of playing for the first time!!) the playability will ensure that he is inspired to continue...

Steel strung acoustics are used for much rock/pop styles and you may find that buying him a classical (with a clubbier neck & wider string spacing) does little to inspire him.

Please check out our product guides which go into more detail on buying your first guitar and we also recommend our favourite models too.
  • Options
    well i'm 13, and the first guitar i started on was a full size classical which i got bored of within months...it really depends on what styles your son wants to play, but i would suggest getting a strat to start off with
  •  Quote:
    Originally posted by Coma Darkmane:
    well i'm 13, and the first guitar i started on was a full size classical which i got bored of within months...it really depends on what styles your son wants to play, but i would suggest getting a strat to start off with

Thanks for backing up on this one -phew..
    ;\)
  • FretFret Posts: 75Member
    All who replied have been really useful. Thanks, everyone.

I'm left handed and started on a terrible right-hand steel acoustic with the strings turned round. It sounded terrible (my excuse).

I guess that's why I thought about a nylon-strung model.

I appreciated the comments that a 13-year-old should be able to hold and play a full-size guitar.

All in all, I'm really glad I posted the message. Many thanks.